Fast, high-resolution F2.8 16–35 mm zoom
- The first wide-angle G Master zoom lens offers performance that will take full advantage of the high-resolution potential of the latest and future camera bodies. The most advanced Sony optical and mechanical technologies come together to deliver extraordinary rendering and clarity.
High corner-to-corner resolution
- Uncompromised optical design achieves extremely high resolution and contrast. Landscapes, architecture, interiors and other expansive subjects are captured with outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness. Aspherical elements minimize distortion, while ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements effectively control chromatic aberration.
Clarity and contrast in any light
- Sony's original Nano AR Coating suppresses spurious reflections that can cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations, for consistently high contrast and clarity. Freedom from flare over a wide range of incident light angles provides greater framing and composing flexibility, particularly at wide-angle focal lengths. (1. Nano AR Coating / 2. Glass / 3. Transmitted light)
Resolution and bokeh raised to new heights
- This lens features two Sony XA (extreme aspherical) elements with 0.01 micron surface precision. Distortion that tends to occur in wide-angle zoom lenses is meticulously controlled, as are astigmatism and field curvature. Unattractive onion-ring bokeh is effectively suppressed by XA (extreme aspherical) elements so that smooth, beautiful bokeh is achieved in out-of-focus areas.
Gorgeous background bokeh
- Shooting up close at F2.8 can produce some extraordinary background bokeh. Use this capability to shoot portraits, for example, with dynamic, painterly backgrounds consisting of smooth, expressive bokeh that makes the subject stand out clearly.
Optimum resolution at any focal length
- Consistently high resolution is achieved from infinity to the closest focusing distance. This lens employs a floating focus mechanism with two independently driven lens groups. This system helps to reduce all types of aberration to minimum levels and thereby maintain sharp, high-resolution rendering from infinity focus for landscapes, for example, all the way down to close focus for portraits and similar subjects.
Fast, precise autofocus
- Two DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) systems employing original Sony piezoelectric motors directly drive two focus groups in a floating focus configuration. The focus groups are positioned with high precision for the highest possible focus accuracy. DDSSM is quiet too, making it ideal for shooting movies as well as stills.
Light and compact for high mobility
- Class-leading size and weight reductions have been achieved while maintaining outstanding optical performance. This lens is an ideal match for compact E-mount bodies, providing a portable, manageable system that's easy to take along on hiking or mountaineering photo excursions.
11 blades enhance bokeh beauty
- Sony's original 11-blade circular aperture contributes to even greater bokeh quality. Design and materials have been revised to maintain a round shape, and strict circularity standards are applied to ensure that the full beauty of the lens's bokeh is achieved without compromise.
Smooth, versatile operation
- A focus hold button, manual focus ring, AF/MF switch and other controls provide versatile fingertip operation. The focus hold button can be customized via a body menu that allows a variety of functions to be assigned to the button to match the user's needs.
Fluorine coated front element
- The lens's front element features a fluorine coating that helps to prevent fingerprints on the lens and stop dirt from sticking, and makes it easier to wipe away any dirt and fingerprints that do appear on the lens surface.
High reliability in harsh conditions
- The overall design of this lens is dust and moisture resistant for extra protection and reliable operation in challenging environments. Shoot with confidence in light rain or windy conditions.